The Goat Inn has been known by a few names in the past. In 1616 it was known as Bell of the Hoop. In 1627 it was called the Spread Eagle. Finally in 1672 it became The Goat. The rooms of the pub were used for various reasons including courts of law, distribution of charity and the meeting place of the Freemasons. A carved goat was placed outside the pub and is now in Shipley Art Gallery where it was moved to after the pub was demolished in 1925 to make way for the Tyne Bridge.