Fast Search

You are Here: Home / Whitley tower

Tyne and Wear HER(726): Whitley tower - Details

Back to Search Results


726


N Tyneside


Whitley tower


Whitley Bay


NZ37SE


Defence


Fortified House


Tower House


Medieval


C14


Documentary Evidence


The Northumberland County History records that "Gilbert de Whitley received royal licence on April 9th, 1345, to crenellate his manor house at Whitley. The tower recurs in the list of castles and fortalices drawn up in 1415, but probably soon fell into disuse, as there is no mention of it in the survey of 1538, and no tradition survives as to its site. Gilbert de Whitley was an expert military architect, holding the office in 1356, of master and supervisor of the king's work in the castle of Newcastle". A manor-house is marked in the centre of the south row on the first edition Ordnance Survey map - the tower could have been its predecessor, but other sites are also possible, such as on the north side in the area of the present Whitley House.


354


721


NZ354721


-1.445966455409,55.04207901104


<< HER 726 >> HHE Craster, 1907, Whitley Township, NCH, VIII, p 395

Back to Search Results