Fast Search

You are Here: Home / North Shields, Old Low Light

Tyne and Wear HER(4557): North Shields, Old Low Light - Details

Back to Search Results


4557


N Tyneside


North Shields, Old Low Light


North Shields


NZ36NE


Maritime


Navigation Aid


Lighthouse


Post Medieval


C18


Extant Building


The Old Low Light was built in 1727, raised in 1775. It burnt three candles instead of two. It was given copper reflectors in 1736, and oil lamps were substituted for candles in 1773. It was converted into almshouses in 1830, when the building of the New Low Light (HER 2057) rendered the Old Low Light redundant. The lantern turret of the low light was removed to make way for an additional storey and the building has now no resemblance to a lighthouse {2}. Brick of varying bonds with quoins at right. Ground floor rendered. Painted sandstone ashlar, right return, sandstone rubble lower courses on left return. Welsh slate roof. 3 storeys. Ground floor - flat arches to windows. Elliptical brick arches to windows on upper floors. Some windows bricked up, some with sashes burnt or removed. Inserted double loading doors in first floor. 3 commemorative panels, one dated 1775. Sundial on second floor. Hipped roof without chimneys. Boundary stone attached to left return - sandstone block inscribed WD/BS/No7 about 12cm above gound. LISTED GRADE 2 Soft stripping during the conversion of the Old Low Light into a community education centre in 2013 revealed several historic features. These included part of a brick partition wall contemporary with the main building, a possibly late 18th century stud partition with carpenter's joinery marks, early floor joists and a fireplace flue. Observations externally and internally suggested that the second storey is the product of two phases of raising the building, the first in 1775, and the second in 1830.


3629


6848


NZ36296848


-1.4324979258523,55.009482829224


<< HER 4557 >> M. Hope Dodds, 1928, The North Shields Lighthouses D.C. Kear, 1986, Clifford's fort and the Defence of the Tyne, Archaeologia Aeliana. 1996, p 100; Dept. of National Heritage, of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest, 15/134; N. Pevsner and I. Richmond (second edition revised by J. Grundy, G. McCombie, P. Ryder, H. Welfare), 1992, The Buildings of England - Northumberland, page 531; Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 2013, The Old Low Light, Clifford's Fort, North Shields, Tyne and Wear, Archaeological Building Recording; Northern Counties Archaeological Services, 2010, The Old Low Light, Clifford's Fort, North Shields, Tyne and Wear, Conservation Statement

Back to Search Results