Tyne and Wear HER(1003): Swing Bridge - Details
Title of image: Swing Bridge, Newcastle upon Tyne
Description: A view of the Swing Bridge, Newcastle upon Tyne taken in 1889. The photograph has been taken from Gateshead looking across the bridge to Newcastle. The Fish Market is to the left of the Swing Bridge and Watergate Building to the right. The High Level Bridge is to the left of the Fish Market. In the background can be seen the Keep, the Moothall and the spire of St. Nicholas' Cathedral.
Additional info: Lantern slide
Location/Collection: Newcastle Libraries/Newcastle Local Studies Bridges Collection
Accession number: NCL 003382
Provider: Newcastle City Library
Copyright: All rights reserved, if you would like a printed copy of this image please contact Newcastle Libraries.
Gateshead and Newcastle
Nineteenth century hydraulic swing bridge. The main structure, complete with its hydraulic equipment, is by Sir W.G. Armstrong & Co. of Elswick. Opened for road traffic 15th June 1876 and for river traffic 17th July 1876, work having started in 1868. Although the pumps were electrified in 1959,the original hydraulic engines are in every day use moving the bridge. The length of the moving part is 281feet and weighs 1450 tons. It was erected by the Tyne Improvement Commissioners at a cost of £233,000. Thought to be the fourth bridge on the site. One of the few surviving nineteenth century hydraulic swing bridges in the country, also important for its connections with Armstrong and for its role in the development of industry in the upper parts of the Tyne.SCHEDULED ANCIENT MONUMENT AND LISTED GRADE 2*
<< HER 1003 >> Local Studies Tyne & Wear Industrial Monuments Trust, 1977, The Tyne Swing Bridge Tyne and Wear Industrial Monuments Trust, 1976, In Trust, Issue 2, June 1976 1976 Turning Point in History, The Guardian, Thursday April 10th 1976, p8; Paul Usherwood, Jeremy Beach and Catherine Morris, 2000, Public Sculpture of North East England, p 135; Grace McCombie, 2009, Newcastle and Gateshead, p 99