Tyne and Wear HER(104): Willington village - Details
First mentioned in 1072 when it formed part of Bishop Walcher's gift to the priory of Durham. A mill is recorded in 1299, and a windmill also noted in 1438-9 & 1464. In 1536-7 there was a waste water mill and a salt pan. In 1539 8 tenants paid the identical rent of 33s 4d each, + 3s 4d for the salt pan. Eight farms are also mentioned in 1585, but by 1839 there were 6 farms of very unequal size of which 3 were outside the village, which consisted of West (Willington) Farm, the smithy, and Middle (Willington) Farm on the south side of the green, and Willington Farm on the north side. Originally it was a 2-row green village of oval outline, with the green located around the present cul-de-sac, Engine Inn Road.
<< HER 104 >> W. Brown, C188?, Plans of Collieries, M17 197A no. 62 -Northumberland Records Office 1818, Particulars of sale of freehold estate no. 3, Tithe map, 530 18 6 -Northumberland Records Office Tithe Award, 1839, Willington, DT 511 M- Northumberland Records Office Willington Estate, 438 F 1-12 -Northumberland Records Office Map Ordnance Survey maps - 1859 - 1st ed. 25 = 1 mile Northumberland LXXXIV.14 -Northumberland Records Office Ordnance Survey maps, 1897, 2nd ed., 25 = 1 mile Ordnance Survey maps, 1918, 3rd ed., 25 = 1 mile W. Greenwell,1871, Feodarium Prioratus Dunelmensis, Surtees Society, 58, passim W.H.D. Longstaffe, J. Booth, eds. 1886, Durham Halmote Rolls, Surtees Society, 82, p. 208 Canon Fowler, ed. 1898, Durham Account Rolls, Surtees Society, 99, p. 63 Canon Fowler, ed. 1898, Durham Account Rolls, Surtees Society, 100, p. 500 Canon Fowler, ed. 1900, Durham Account Rolls, Surtees Society, 103, p. 668 W. Richardson, 1923, History of the Parish of Wallsend, 33-43, 212-13 M.H. Dodds, ed. 1930, Northumberland County History, XIII, 471-7; Alan Williams Archaeology, 2012, Former Engine Inn PH, Engine Inn Road, Willington, North Tyneside