Tyne and Wear HER(10437): Newcastle, The Close, Javel Groupe - Details
Newcastle, The Close, Javel Groupe
On the south side of The Close was Javel Groop (Javelgrippe 1425, le Gaoell-Grype 1505, Jayvelgraye 1566 and Jayle Groupe 1590). Javel derives from "gavell" referring to the gaol in the Castle Keep, gripe or group means drain or channel. There was a plot of waste land in The Close in the angle formed by the east side of Javel Groop, called Ald Javell in 1425.
H. Bourne, 1736, The History of Newcastle upon Tyne, pp 126-7; J. Slade's notes on The Close (held by HER); North Country Lore & Legend, Vol 3, p 351; Welford, History of Newcastle and Gateshead, Vol 1; CP Graves and DH Heslop, 2013, Newcastle upon Tyne - The Eye of the North, An Archaeological Assessment, p 115; J. Brand, 1890, Town and Country of the town of Newcastle upon Tyne, Vol 2, pp 311-61 and 369-73