Tyne and Wear HER(1049): Blyth & Tyne Railway - Details
Blyth & Tyne Railway
Railway Transport Site
The Blyth and Tyne Railway was built in 1857, opened in 1860 and abandoned in 1887 when the new eastern loop (HER ref. 2155) was opened. Spital Dean Bridge (HER 2052) carried this line over Cutthroat Lane, just north of Tynemouth. Its southern termini were at Tynemouth & N.Shields (HER refs. 2046 & 2050. By c.1898 the line had been lifted between NZ 3511 7168 and NZ 3620 6940; the southernmost section being reused as part of the NER, Newcastle, Tynemouth & Newcastle line (HER ref. 2155). The southern part of this line followed the course of the earlier Whitley Wagonway, from Whitley Colliery to Low Lights Staith, opened in 1811 by Clarke & Taylor.
<< HER 1049 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1865, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 81 C. R. Warn, 1976, Wagonways & Early Railways of Northumberland, 1605-1840, 14,49