Tyne and Wear HER(10562): Byker, Byker Bank, New Hawk Inn - Details
Title of image: New Hawk Inn , Byker Bank, Byker
Description: There are allotments to the left of the pub and houses and a church in the background. The pub was demolished in 1969.
Additional info: Print black and white
Location/Collection: Newcastle Libraries/Newcastle Local Studies Hotels and Restaurants Collection
Accession number: NCL 030369
Provider: Newcastle City Library
Copyright: All rights reserved, if you would like a printed copy of this image please contact Newcastle Libraries.
Byker, Byker Bank, New Hawk Inn
Shown on Ordnance Survey second edition. Built in 1881 to replace the Old Hawk Inn on the opposite side of the street, which had become Freddie Shepherd's Rag Shop. The New Hawk was a free house which sold Wilkinson's beers from the Pine Street Brewery off Scotswood Road. In the 1930s Tommy Watson, who fought for the world boxing title in New York, was manager. The upstairs meeting room of the pub was used as his gym.
Ordnance Survey Second Edition of 1896; Newcastle City Council, Planning Division, Development Department, "Ouseburn Heritage", volume 1, page 44; Brian Bennison, 1997, Heavy Nights - A History of Newcastle's Public Houses, Volume Two, The North and East, p 31