Tyne and Wear HER(10643): Newcastle, Northumberland Road, Cambridge Hall - Details
Newcastle, Northumberland Road, Cambridge Hall
Shown on Ordnance Survey second edition. During the First World War the British Red Cross Society and the Order of St John of Jerusalem combined to form the Joint War Committee to raise and organise Voluntary Aid Detachments (VADs) trained in First Aid and Nursing. Cambridge Hall was the headquarters of the Northumberland and Durham Voluntary Aid Organisations. This building was formerly the headquarters of the Northern Division R.A.M.C and was the location of the 1st Northumbrian Field Ambulance and 1st Northern General Hospital. Today only the church remains - the site of Cambridge Hall is occupied by private apartments.
Shown on Ordnance Survey Second Edition of 1896; www.donmouth.co.uk/local_history/VAD/VAD_hospitals.html (accessed 2014); British Red Cross, 2014, List of Auxiliary Hospitals in the UK during the First World War