Tyne and Wear HER(10660): Newcastle, Newgate Street, Phoenix Hotel Public House - Details
Newcastle, Newgate Street, Phoenix Hotel Public House
Shown on Ordnance Survey second edition. George Harkness ran the brewery behind the Phoenix beershop and eating house in Newgate Street around 1850. The premises were bought by Arrol's in 1896 and it was altered by 1914. The Phoenix closed in 1953. A branch of Lloyds Bank was built on this site but this was demolished to make way for Eldon Square Shopping Centre.
Shown on Ordnance Survey Second Edition of 1896; Brian Bennison, 1995, Brewers and Bottlers of Newcastle upon Tyne From 1850 to the present day, p 37; Brian Bennison, 1996, Heady Days - A History of Newcastle's Public Houses, Vol 1, The Central Area, p 16