Tyne and Wear HER(10684): Newcastle, Wellington Street, Prince of Wales Public House - Details
Newcastle, Wellington Street, Prince of Wales Public House
Shown on Ordnance Survey second edition. The Prince of Wales was bought by Barras & Co for £1110 in 1883, became a Newcastle Breweries house in 1890 and was rebuilt in 1907. The pub is remembered for its marble-fronted bar and Prince of Wales plumes in the elegant exterior tilework. It closed in 1938 when the area was subject to a compulsary purchase order on slum clearance - the building remained until work began on the Hill St flats. The licence transferred to a new Prince of Wales at the corner of Westgate Road and Lewis Drive, which was opened in 1939.
Shown on Ordnance Survey Second Edition of 1896; Bennison, B, 1998, Lost Weekends, A History of Newcastle's Public Houses, Vol 3, The West