Tyne and Wear HER(10706): Elswick, Diana Street, King's Arms Public House - Details
Elswick, Diana Street, King's Arms Public House
Shown on Ordnance Survey second edition. Originally known as the Travellers Rest, renamed Kings Arms probably in 1878 during rebuilding. In 1892 the ground floor of the building had a bar divided into a general bar and bottle & jug department, and a small sitting room from which a cellar had been partitioned. It was being rented by Mrs Davison for £130 per annum. It closed in the late 1980s but was reopened by Legendary Yorkshire Heros company in 1990 when the name was chaned to O'Dwyer's, the Cuckoo (a 19th century nickname) and the Magpie in 1994. 1998 derelict.
Shown on Ordnance Survey Second Edition of 1896; Bennison, B, 1998, Lost Weekends, A History of Newcastle's Public Houses, Vol 3, The West