Tyne and Wear HER(10707): Newcastle, Cottenham Street, White Lion Inn (Pickwick Inn) - Details
Newcastle, Cottenham Street, White Lion Inn (Pickwick Inn)
Shown on Ordnance Survey second edition. In the 1850s Thomas Davison rented the Pickwick Inn, a 7 roomed public house with cellars, stable and brewery producing 20 half-barrels. William Price worked the brewery from 1870 until 1874 under its new name, the White Lion. It could now produce 25 half-barrels. Further improvements were made in 1882. In the late 1880s and early 1890s Henry Davidson brewed there, producing 34 barrels of beer a week. Brewing ceased here by 1899 when Matthew Wood, South Shields brewer, bought the pub. The White Lion closed in 1909.
Shown on Ordnance Survey Second Edition of 1896; Brian Bennison, 1995, Brewers and Bottlers of Newcastle upon Tyne From 1850 to the present day, p 26; Bennison, B, 1998, Lost Weekends, A History of Newcastle's Public Houses, Vol 3, The West