Tyne and Wear HER(10745): Newcastle, Percy Street, Three Bull's Heads Public House - Details
Newcastle, Percy Street, Three Bull's Heads Public House
Shown on Ordnance Survey second edition. Behind the Three Bulls' Heads there was the Percy Street Brewery, which was run by Henry Rudolphus Ritzema from 1850 to 1853. The brewery was taken over by George Southern for a short time. The brewery, which had a two-horse-power steam engine, could produce 35 half barrels per brewing. In 1984 Bass owned the Three Bulls Heads. They wanted to extend the pub into the amusement arcade next door but the late eighteenth century brickwork of the pub was found to be unsafe and had to be demolished. What is there now is a complete rebuild.
Ordnance Survey Second Edition of 1896; Brian Bennison, 1995, Brewers and Bottlers of Newcastle upon Tyne From 1850 to the present day, p 51; Brian Bennison, 1996, Heady Days - A History of Newcastle's Public Houses, Vol 1, The Central Area, p 8