Tyne and Wear HER(10791): Newcastle, Leazes Park, two bowling greens - Details
Newcastle, Leazes Park, two bowling greens
Ball Sports Site
Shown on Ordnance Survey second edition. The first bowling green was finished by 1887. It is still in use by Springbank Bowling Club. The second lawn was originally for croquet but this proved less popular. By 1894 the lawn was reconfigured as a second bowling green. A pavilion was built alongside. The was replaced between the wars by the present Springbank Pavilion (timber framed, painted green and white, red tiled roof). The pavilion also serves the Leazes Park Angling Association.
Ordnance Survey Second Edition of 1896; Pearson, Lynn, 2010, Played in Tyne and Wear - Charting the heritage of people at play, p 37