Tyne and Wear HER(10829): Newcastle, Northumberland Street, Northumberland Arms PH - Details
Newcastle, Northumberland Street, Northumberland Arms PH
Shown on Ordnance Survey second edition. Robert Watkin ran a small brewhouse here from 1855 to 1860. William Barton took over the business for a short time. The pub was acquired by Robert Deuchar in 1895, and transferred to Newcastle Breweries in 1953. It was demolished to make way for Eldon Square Shopping Centre. A pub of the same name has been built here as part of Eldon Square Shopping Centre. Stone carvings, door surrounds etc have been salvaged from the old library, town hall and YMCA in Blackett Street and were reset into the exterior retaining wall on Prudhoe Chare in 1976. The architectural features include seven high-relief heads of gods and goddesses (Neptune in the centre, possibly the River God Tyne and Bacchus) and Bewick, Stephenson and Collingwood on tapered keystones, two architectural scrolls surmounted by lions' heads, a door lintel, two panels containing three cartouches with high-relief 'YMCA' and a semi-circular panel with '1881' in the middle of foliate carving.
Ordnance Survey Second Edition of 1896; Brian Bennison, 1995, Brewers and Bottlers of Newcastle upon Tyne from 1850 to the present day, p 59; Ward's Directory of 1861; Paul Usherwood, Jeremy Beach and Catherine Morris, 2000, Public Sculpture of North East England, p 127-9; Brian Bennison, 1996, Heady Days - A History of Newcastle's Public Houses, Vol 1, The Central Area, pp 10-11