Tyne and Wear HER(1084): Longbenton, Benton Station (Forest Hall Station) - Details
Longbenton, Benton Station (Forest Hall Station)
Railway Transport Site
Benton Station opened on the N.E.R. (HER 1063) on 1st March 1847. It was renamed Forest Hall Station in 1874 (replaced the old Forest Hall Station HER 1119). It closed in 1958. The stationmaster's house and ticket office on the north side of the station were demolished in 1963 to make way for the 'Flying Scotsman' public house which opened in May 1967.
<< HER 1084 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1864, 6 inch scale, Northumberland, 80; W.G. Elliott, Bygone Days of Longenton, Benton, Forest Hall, West Moor, Killingworth, Palmersville and Benton Square, Book 2, pp 49, 50, 51 and back cover; W.G. Elliott and Edwin Smith, Bygone Days of Longbenton, Benton, Forest Hall, West Moor and Killingworth, pp 47, 59-60