Tyne and Wear HER(10844): Bishopwearmouth Cemetery, Jews' Burial Grounds - Details
Bishopwearmouth Cemetery, Jews' Burial Grounds
Religious Ritual and Funerary
There are three Jewish sections in the cemetery. The earliest (1856-99) is at the north-east corner with Hylton Road (NZ 3743 5660). The second (1899-1926) is near the crematorium towards the west (NZ 3722 5631). The third (1926 onwards) is at the north-west corner (NZ 3703 5639). The red brick ohel (prayer hall at burial ground, especially a small walk-in memorial to a deceased Hasidic rabbi) with Hebrew inscription "BET MOED L'KOL HAI" (House of Meeting for All Living) is covered in graffiti.
Sharman Kadish, 2006, Jewish Heritage in England - Architectural Guide, page 186