Tyne and Wear HER(10848): Newcastle, Ravensworth Terrace, Nos. 6-8, Synagogue - Details
Title of image: Ravensworth Terrace Synagogue, Ravensworth Terrace, Newcastle upon Tyne
Additional info: Print black and white
Location/Collection: Newcastle Libraries/Newcastle Local Studies Churches Collection
Accession number: NCL 049169
Provider: Newcastle City Library
Copyright: All rights reserved, if you would like a printed copy of this image please contact Newcastle Libraries.
Newcastle, Ravensworth Terrace, Nos. 6-8, Synagogue
Religious Ritual and Funerary
Place of Worship
Conversion of a Victorian Terrace (formerly a Diocesan Home for Girls, HER 10686) by Marcus Kenneth Glass in 1924-5. It was almost an entire rebuild. The houses had been left to the Newcastle United Hebrew Congregation. The building is cement rendered and painted cream with bands of red brick. Its faĆ§ade has two tiers of tall round-headed windows and a doorway at the western end. The synagogue closed in 1969 and reopened as a design studio in 1981. The Luhot (Tablets of the Law, double-headed stone bearing an abbreviated form of the Ten Commandments) outside has been painted out. A large Star of David window over the main entrance remains however. Totally refurbished inside in 1997.
Sharman Kadish, 2006, Jewish Heritage in England - Architectural Guide, page 187; Newcastle City Council, 2001, Summerhill Conservation Area Character Statement, p 18