Tyne and Wear HER(10849): Heaton, Benton Road, Heaton Cemetery, Jews' Burial Ground - Details
Heaton, Benton Road, Heaton Cemetery, Jews' Burial Ground
Religious Ritual and Funerary
This Victorian Cemetery (HER 9854) was opened as ‘Byker & Heaton Cemetery’ on April 24th 1890. A plot running north-south parallel with Benton Road was acquired by Jesmond Synagogue when the cemetery opened. The plot consists of four long rows of stones and is railed off from the rest of the cemetery. Entrance is through the ohel (prayer hall at burial ground, especially a small walk-in memorial to a deceased Hasidic rabbi) of 1922 on Etherstone Avenue, a white-washed building with slate roof. The first burial was of Etta Jackson on 3 October 1916. An extension and modern bet taharah (mortuary) have been added to the ohel at the rear.
Sharman Kadish, 2006, Jewish Heritage in England - Architectural Guide, page 188; Alan Morgan, 2004, Beyond the Grave - Exploring Newcastle's Burial Grounds, page 133