Tyne and Wear HER(10859): North Shields, Clifford Street, New Dolphin Public House - Details
North Shields, Clifford Street, New Dolphin Public House
The New Dolphin Inn was in existence in 1857 (then known as the Staith House). The southern and eastern wall lines follow the footprint of a building shown in 1819, part of the premises of John Collingwood and others, and so elements of the building may be late eighteenth or early nineteenth century. The pub is two storeys, three bays, rendered with a Welsh slate roof. In the first half of the twentieth century, Scottish and Newcastle Breweries obtained permission to rebuild the pub facing Union Road.
North East Civic Trust, 2001, Clifford's Fort, North Shields - Draft Conservation Plan, pages 51-52