Tyne and Wear HER(10860): North Shields, Fish Quay, Nos. 42 to 47,Northern Print Studio - Details
North Shields, Fish Quay, Nos. 42 to 47,Northern Print Studio
Two-storey north-south range of purpose-built fish stores, probably built between 1861 and 1896. Constructed in red brick in English Garden Wall bond with sandstone lintels and sills to doors and windows. The roof is imitation Welsh slate, there are Velux-style rooflights and ceramic ridge tiles with a fish motif. The rear windows are four pane sashes with external security bars. A series of blocked gothic arches is evident on the front elevation at ground floor level, large flat lintels having been inserted beneath them. Modern joinery is painted white and dark blue. A fist floor modern steel balcony has been added reached by two staircases. The building has been converted into studios and offices and is occupied by Northern Print Studio. The floorscape around the building has been enhanced with cobbles, kerbs and tiles with fish motifs designed by David Fry, an artist based at Newcastle Arts Centre.
North East Civic Trust, 2001, Clifford's Fort, North Shields - Draft Conservation Plan, pages 53-54; Richard Simpson, 1988, North Shields and Tynemouth - A Pictorial History; FISHcast, sub-group of FISH (Folk Interested in Shields Harbour), 2007, North Shields - The New Quay and The Fish Quay Conservation Areas - FISHcast Community Character Statement