Tyne and Wear HER(10868): Gateshead, Werhale, hospital - Details
Gateshead, Werhale, hospital
Health and Welfare
A hospital at Werhale is documented between 1265 and 1344 as a dependency of Durham. Werhale is a territory name (like the Wirral) for an estate which lay between the lower courses of the rivers Tyne and Wear, an estate which included the twin monasteries of Jarrow and Monkwearmouth and the villages of Jarrow, Over and Nether Heworth, Monkton, Harton, Southwick, Monkwearmouth, Fulwell, Hedworth, Hebburn, South Shields, Monkwearmouth, Newton Garths, Westoe, Preston, Simonside, Whitburn, Cleadon, West Boldon and East Boldon.. The 'halh' element probably means 'nook' or 'corner'.
National Monuments Record NZ 26 SE 342; David Knowles and R. Neville Hadcock, 1971, Medieval Religious Houses in England and Wales, page 401; Brian K. Roberts, 2007, Landscapes of Bede: The Land of Werhale (publication forthcoming); W. Greenwell, 1872, Feodarium Prioratus Dunelmensis, Surtees Society 58, lv, lxxvii, 107n; Rosemary Cramp, 2006, Monkwearmouth and Jarrow; E. Ekwall, 1960, The Oxford Dictionary of English Place-Names, p 526