Tyne and Wear HER(10874): Ouseburn, Ouse Street, Ouseburn Brewery - Details
Ouseburn, Ouse Street, Ouseburn Brewery
Brewing and Malting Site
In 1800 R.S. Richardson & Co. ran the newly finished Ouseburn Brewery. Its lease was up for sale in 1802 (R.S. Richardson Jnr wanted to retire to the countryside) when it was described as 'particularly constructed for working with few hands and most eligibly situated for disposing of small beer, yeast and grains'. It was offered for sale again in 1807, a 'brewery and malting with all utensils complete, under one roof, with large dry yard walled round'. The Richardson's lease finally ran out in 1816 and the building was advertised as 'formerly occupied as brewery and malting'. James Harvey & Co. (James Harvey, Robert Etherington and Edward Walton) later ran an Ouseburn Brewery. The company disbanded in 1831 but Etherington and Walton continued with the business. A Robert Etherington was also known to have brewed at a New Road Brewery.
Brian Bennison, 2000, Tyneside's Most Respectable Breweries of 1801, Archaeologia Aeliana, Series 5, Vol. XXVIII, p 217; J. Baillie, 1801, Impartial History of the Town and County of Newcastle upon Tyne and its Vicinity, p 530; Brian Bennison, 1995, Brewers and Bottlers of Newcastle upon Tyne From 1850 to the present day, p 26