Tyne and Wear HER(10875): Newcastle, Armorer's Chare, Brewery - Details
Newcastle, Armorer's Chare, Brewery
Brewing and Malting Site
A directory of 1778 lists a Mrs Reed as common brewer in Armorer's Chare. In 1780 the premises of Mary Reed were described as 'a good dwelling house' with other buildings equipped with 'fixed coppers, backs and cellars, granaries, horsemill and stabling'. In 1787 the business was occupied by Thomas Burdon & Co. The address was given as Peacock Entry. In Baillie's directory of 1801 the property of Messrs Burdon & [John] Rayne was listed at Custom House Entry. In 1812 Thomas Burdon ran the company alone. He was knighted in 1816 and died in 1826. The brewery was put up for auction in 1827 consisting of a brewhouse, three cellars, a stable, three offices and a malting. In Broad Garth there was another malting, a bond cellar, spirit cellar, cooper's shop, loft and drayman's house. 18 public houses were also offered for sale.
Brian Bennison, 2000, Tyneside's Most Respectable Breweries of 1801, Archaeologia Aeliana, Series 5, Vol. XXVIII, p 217-8; J. Baillie, 1801, Impartial History of the Town and County of Newcastle upon Tyne and its Vicinity, p 530