Tyne and Wear HER(10877): Newcastle, Sandgate, Tyne Brewery - Details
Newcastle, Sandgate, Tyne Brewery
Brewing and Malting Site
Richard Bell ran this brewery in 1790 and 1795. Baillie's directory of 1801 lists this as the property of Matthew Bell Esq. & Co. The address is also given as St. Mary's Street and North Shore. It was called Bell's Brewery in 1811. In 1821 and 1824 it was ran by Bells, Brown & Co, and from 1831 to 1844 by Bells, Dixon & Co. In 1847 the occupiers were Bells, Robson & Co. The brewery closed in 1868 when the company moved to larger premises in Bath Lane.
Brian Bennison, 2000, Tyneside's Most Respectable Breweries of 1801, Archaeologia Aeliana, Series 5, Vol. XXVIII, p 219; J. Baillie, 1801, Impartial History of the Town and County of Newcastle upon Tyne and its Vicinity, p 530