Tyne and Wear HER(10886): Monkwearmouth, Scottish camp - Details
Monkwearmouth, Scottish camp
A Scottish garrison with a separate governor was established at Monkwearmouth from 5 March 1644 until September 1644. The garrison was supplied with gunpowder, matches, musketballs, cannonballs, mattocks and spades. The church tower became a vantage point for watching for Royalist troops.
M.M. Meikle and C.M. Newman, 2007, Sunderland and its Origins - monks to mariners, pp. 126-128