Tyne and Wear HER(10925): Gateshead, Ellison Street, Maccoy Drinking Fountain - Details
Gateshead, Ellison Street, Maccoy Drinking Fountain
Water Supply and Drainage
This granite fountain of 1915 was origianlly located in Brunswick Terrace. It was moved to its present site in 1986 when the street was demolished to make way for the Interchange Centre. It is a four sided drinking fountain with a bowl on each side, standing on an octagonal plinth with two steps. John Maccoy, later Sir John, was Mayor of Gateshead eight times between 1912 and 1923. He became an Honorary Freeman in 1930 and died in 1935.
Ian Ayris, Peter Jubb, Steve Palmer and Paul Usherwood, 1996, A Guide to the Public Monuments and Sculpture of Tyne and Wear, p 38; Paul Usherwood, Jeremy Beach and Catherine Morris, 2000, Public Sculpture of North-East England, p 72-3; CgMs Consulting, 2010, Tesco Store and Trinity Square, Ellison St, Gateshead - Archaeological Assessment