Tyne and Wear HER(10948): High Spen, St. Patrick's Churchyard, War Memorial - Details
High Spen, St. Patrick's Churchyard, War Memorial
Unveiled July 1920. Granite cross on a high square pedestal on two steps. 15 feet high. A sword is carved in relief on the top of the cross. The upper panel is for WW1, the lower panel for WW2. "BY THE LONG ROAD THEY TROD WITH SO MUCH FAITH AND WITH SUCH SELF-SACRIFICING BRAVERY WE HAVE ARRIVED AT VICTORY AND TODAY THEY HAVE THEIR REWARD THEY DIED THAT WE MIGHT LIVE 1939-1945 COMMISSIONED BY MINERS OF SPEN AND VICTORIA COLLIERIES AND BRITISH LEGION, HIGH SPEN BRANCH". Sculptor was R.B. Aves of Newcastle.
Ian Ayris, Peter Jubb, Steve Palmer and Paul Usherwood, 1996, A Guide to the Public Monuments and Sculpture of Tyne and Wear, p 64; North East War Memorials Project (www.newmp.org.uk) H106.02; Hexham Courant 27th July 1920; Sunderland Echo 19th July 1920