Tyne and Wear HER(10950): Gateshead, Saltwell Park, War Memorial - Details
Gateshead, Saltwell Park, War Memorial
Unveiled 12th July 1981 by Coun. Chris Wheatley, Mayor of Newcastle. A sandstone wall with two flanking walls, enclosing a small garden. There are two wooden seats displaying the badge of the Durham Light Infantry. There are three plaques to the 5th Durham Rifle Volunteers and the central panel has the date AD 1886. The left plaque has a dedication to and the badge of the DLI. "IN MEMORY OF 1419 OFFICERS AND OTHER RANKS WHO LAID DOWN THEIR LIVES IN WAR FROM 1900 TO 1945 EACH A SON OF THE 9TH BATTALION THE DURHAM LIGHT INFANTRY T.A. FAITHFUL". The right plaque reads "THESE STONES WERE RECOVERED FROM THE DRILL HALL IN BURT TERRACE HOME OF THE 9TH BATTALION THE DURHAM LIGHT INFANTRY T.A. DEDICATED AD JULY 1981". The stones were taken from an arch above a window in the north gable of the drill hall. The memorial replaces one in St. Mary's Church which was destroyed by fire in 1979.
Ian Ayris, Peter Jubb, Steve Palmer and Paul Usherwood, 1996, A Guide to the Public Monuments and Sculpture of Tyne and Wear, p 64; North East War Memorials Project (www.newmp.org.uk) G39.07; Evening Chronicle 9th March 1981, 10th July 1981; Gateshead Post 9th July 1981 and 16th July 1981