Tyne and Wear HER(10964): Cleadon, Front Street, War Memorial (WW1 and WW2) - Details
Cleadon, Front Street, War Memorial (WW1 and WW2)
First and Second World War Memorial. Unveiled 13th November 1920 by Col. G. Pollard of Seaton Delaval. Cost £300. A pink rough hewn slab with a laurel wreath at the top and the names of the dead and those who served in World War One on a Welsh green slate panel. There is a cross on the step below. Located in a rockery. The sculptor was Thomas Curry of South Shields. There is a plaque on the right side "E. Smyth, Sunderland". In 1997 an additional dedication commemorating men and women who served in both the First and Second World Wars who had been residents of Cleadon Cottage Homes as children. Original plaque reads: IN HONOURED MEMORY OF/THE MEN OF CLEADON WHO GAVE THEIR/LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY IN THE/GREAT WAR 1914-1919 (14 NAMES)/ALSO IN TRIBUTE TO THOSE WHO SERVED/107 NAMES. July 2016 - being assessed for listing.
Ian Ayris, Peter Jubb, Steve Palmer and Paul Usherwood, 1996, A Guide to the Public Monuments and Sculpture of Tyne and Wear, p 65; North East War Memorials Project Ref. C79.01 (www.newmp.org.uk); Newcastle Weekly Chronicle 20 November 1920; South Shields in Old Picture Postcards; Northern Archaeological Associates, 2015, The Cleadon Village Atlas; Historic England (Designation), Consultation Report, 6th July 2016