Fast Search

You are Here: Home / South Shields, Corstophine Town, Tyne Dock War Memorial

Tyne and Wear HER(10970): South Shields, Corstophine Town, Tyne Dock War Memorial - Details

Back to Search Results


10970


S Tyneside


South Shields, Corstophine Town, Tyne Dock War Memorial


South Shields


NZ36NE


Commemorative


Commemorative Monument


War Memorial


Modern


C20


Structure


First World War Memorial. Plaque 1914-18. The plaque, which is 3 feet 10 inches high and 5 feet 5 inches wide, bears at its right 'the winged figure of Peace furling the flag of war' which stretches almost across the top of the plaque. In her left hand Peace holds the palm of victory, and contemplates the panel bearing the names. Inscription: 1914-1919 reads ‘As a memorial to the employees of the West Docks who gave their services and also to the immortal memory of those employees named who fell in the Great War this tablet is erected by James Redhead Esp., Chairman and Managing Director’. The plaque was commissioned by Messrs. John Readhead & Sons, shipbuilders. Formerly located at Readhead's Shipyard, Tyne Dock, in the headquarters of the Ship Repairers. Now located on the opposite (west) side of its original location in Corstorphine Town. LOCAL LIST


3553


6590


NZ35536590



Ian Ayris, Peter Jubb, Steve Palmer and Paul Usherwood, 1996, A Guide to the Public Monuments and Sculpture of Tyne and Wear, p 65; SOUTH TYNESIDE LOCAL LIST REVIEW 2011: REFERENCE NUMBER: LSHA/64/SS

Back to Search Results