Tyne and Wear HER(10971): Backworth, Backworth Lane, War Memorial - Details
Backworth, Backworth Lane, War Memorial
First and Second World War Memorial. Unveiled December 2nd 1922 by Col. L. Taylor of Hinderside Hall, Kelso. A granite obelisk decorated with flags, on a six stepped base, 6m high. Inscription: "LEST WE FORGET/ TO THE HONOUR OF OUR GLORIOUS DEAD/ IN MEMORY OF THE MEN OF BACKWORTH AND WEST HOLYWELL/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-1919/ IN MEMORY OF THE MEN WHO FELL IN THE SECONG REAT WAR". The obelisk was moved from its original location outside the Old Reading Room in 1948. Erected by JH Taylor of Earsdon.
Ian Ayris, Peter Jubb, Steve Palmer and Paul Usherwood, 1996, A Guide to the Public Monuments and Sculpture of Tyne and Wear, p 65; North East War Memorials Project Ref. B1.01 (www.newmp.org.uk); National Inventory of War Memorials (17742); English Heritage, 11 July 2012, Advice Report, List Entry 1406711