Tyne and Wear HER(10976): Houghton-le-Spring, Church of St. Michael, War Memorial - Details
Houghton-le-Spring, Church of St. Michael, War Memorial
Unveiled 7th November 1925 by the Earl of Durham. An 18 feet 6 inches high memorial on two steps. On the right is a soldier in half relief, on the left a sailor. The front top is carved into a cross with "OUR GLORIOUS DEAD" below with 236 names. The designer was Francis Doyle Jones of Chelsea.
Ian Ayris, Peter Jubb, Steve Palmer and Paul Usherwood, 1996, A Guide to the Public Monuments and Sculpture of Tyne and Wear, p 65; North East War Memorials Project (www.newmp.org.uk) H132.02; Darlington and Stockton Times 14th November 1925