Tyne and Wear HER(10977): Fencehouses, Morton Crescent, War Memorial - Details
Fencehouses, Morton Crescent, War Memorial
Unveiled 23rd September 1922 by Lord Joicey. An ashlar Greek style sarcophagus 11.6 feet x 11.6 feet. Set in a small paved garden with a seat. "LEST WE FORGET" on the top plaque. Decorated with spiral and key patterns. Pink marble plaque reads "IN HONOUR OF ALL THOSE GALLANT MEN OF FENCE HOUSES AND DISTRICT WHO GAVE UP THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WARS 1914-1918 1939-1945". The site was donated by Lambton and Hetton Collieries. The builder was S.E. Smith of Ropery Lane, Chester-le-Street and the architect was Cowe and Lawson of Chester-le-Street. Floodlighting and the seat were added in 2004.
North East War Memorials Project (www.newmp.org.uk) F47.01; Newcastle Weekly Chronicle 30th September 1922; Sunderland Echo 25th September 1922 page 6; Shields Daily News 13th July 1922; Durham County Advertiser 28th September 1922; Chester Chronicle 1919 and 1920, 21st July 1922 and 29th September 1922