Tyne and Wear HER(1099): Longbenton, Closinghill (Clousden Hill) Quarry - Details
Longbenton, Closinghill (Clousden Hill) Quarry
Stone Extraction Site
Closinghill Quarry. In use on the 1865 OS map (surveyed in 1858). Marked "Disused" on 2nd edn OS mapping. The coloured version of the 1898 Northumberland LXXXIX.NW shows the quarry with water in it. Newcastle and North Shields Curling Club played curling matches on this lake for a time in the 19th century (they also played at Percy Main, Fenham and Axwell Hall, before building an artificial pond at Pelaw in 1864. The site is now known as 'The Park'.
<< HER 1099 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1865, 6 inch scale, Northumberland 89; W.G. Elliott, Bygone Days of Longenton, Benton, Forest Hall, West Moor, Killingworth, Palmersville and Benton Square, Book 2, p 76; Newcastle Curling Club, Jubilee Banquet in The Newcastle Courant, Saturday February 25, 1893, https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B92iT6R7LDN-Q254TGgtOFlZUVU/edit; https://sites.google.com/a/curlingplaces.info/cp3/places/4093-clousdon-hill-newcastle