Tyne and Wear HER(1105): Backworth Colliery "Maude" or A Pit - Details
Backworth Colliery "Maude" or A Pit
Coal Mining Site
Backworth Colliery "A" Pit, served by the West Cramlington Wagonway (SMR 1058). Opened in 1815 [Durham mining museum website says A Pit opened in 1813 and Maude Pit in 1872], closed in 1960. Backworth Colliery was owned by Waldie & Co in the 1850s, then Maud Taylor & co, J.C. Lamb & Co, Backworth and West Cramlington Colleries, then Backwoth Colleries Ltd, and from 1947 the NCB. Subsidiary sites - B Pit, Blue Bell Pit, C Pit, D Pit, E Pit, Eccles Pit, Prosperous Pit. In 1927 mechanical mining started at the Maude, Eccles and Algernon Pits, displacing pit ponies. The pit head baths for the Maude and Eccles pits opened February 15th 1930. Electric winding introduced in 1946. There is an article in "Colliery Engineering" August 1933 by James T. Tuck called "Combined Washing and Dry-Cleaning Plant at Backworth Colliery".
<< HER 1105 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1865, 6 inch scale, Northumberland 89; http://www.dmm.org.uk; John Elliott & Derek Charlton, 1994, Backworth - An Illustrated History of the Mines and Railways; Archaeological Services Durham University, June 2011, Backworth Business Park, Backworth, Tyne and Wear - archaeological desk-based assessment; Tyne and Wear Archives, Colliery Books DX 198/1, Backworth Colliery photographs DX 1291; Roy Thompson, 2004, Thunder Underground - Northumberland Mine Disasters 1815-65, photo of the stonemen on p 43; Shiremoor Local History Group, The history of Backworth Colliery (in HER 2010/147)