Tyne and Wear HER(11066): Scotswood, Scotswood Road, Ord Arms - Details
Title of image: Ord Arms, Scotswood Road, Newcastle upon Tyne
Location/Collection: Newcastle Libraries/Newcastle Local Studies Major Radial Roads Collection
Accession number: NCL 014823
Provider: Newcastle City Library
Copyright: All rights reserved, if you would like a printed copy of this image please contact Newcastle Libraries.
Scotswood, Scotswood Road, Ord Arms
The Ord Arms had a brewhouse. In the early 1860s Jane Cox was brewer here, later Thomas Charlton. In 1873 Robert Gibson is listed. The pub was auctioned in 1898. It stood close to Scotswood Railway Station and opposite the entrance to Armstrong-Whitworth's new factory. The pub had beer cellars, a large bar, parlour, snug, news room, bagatelle room and kitchen on ground floor. Above this were the billiards room, club room and three bedrooms. Outbuildings comprised a wash house, six-stalled stable, a byre for 14 cows and a coach house. Next door there were refreshment rooms, a yard and gardens. In 1900 it was rebuilt by F.M. Laing and later was acquired by Robert Deuchar. It was demolished in 1966. The clock tower was moved to the Tyne Brewery in Newcastle. Following demolition of the brewery in 2007, the clock tower remains in storage for future re-use in Scotswood.
Brian Bennison, 1995, Brewers and Bottlers of Newcastle upon Tyne From 1850 to the present day, p 25-6; Terry Quinn, 1991, Bygone Scotswood, photo number 6; Brenda Whitelock, 1992, "Timepieces of Newcastle", page 48 (photo by Jimmy Forsyth); Bennison, B, 1998, Lost Weekends, A History of Newcastle's Public Houses, Vol 3, The West