Tyne and Wear HER(11069): Newcastle, Low Friar Street, Three Tuns Inn - Details
Newcastle, Low Friar Street, Three Tuns Inn
Beer was brewed behind this inn. John Henderson Shepherd brewed here from 1855 to 1879. He handed the premises over to Andrew Burnside. Two years later Hodge & Stevens were the owners. They improved the brewery but then sold off their equipment and stock which included a brand new refrigerating machine. In the 1880s Dover, McEwan & Co. took over the inn, later Dover & Newsome Baxter Ltd. It lost its licence in 1906 when magistrates deemed it to be over-run by prostitutes and other "disorderly characters". In 1924 Joel's Auction Galleries (HER 6482) were erected on the site, later to become Barker and Stonehouse furniture shop.
Brian Bennison, 1995, Brewers and Bottlers of Newcastle upon Tyne From 1850 to the present day, p 31, 55; Brian Bennison, 1996, Heady Days - A History of Newcastle's Public Houses, Vol 1, The Central Area, p 13