Tyne and Wear HER(11072): Shieldfield, Wesley Street, Shieldfield Brewery - Details
Shieldfield, Wesley Street, Shieldfield Brewery
Brewing and Malting Site
Charles Ford brewed here from 1847 to 1857. The brewery could produce 30 half-barrels each brewing. It included malt lofts, offices, a stable and a covered yard, a dwelling house and the Brewer's Arms beerhouse. Ford left to take over the General Wolfe in Canada Street but he died in 1858. Thomas Smith worked here from 1863 to 1865, then he handed over to James Pearse. In 1868 John Allan took over. In 1878 the brewing plant, a spring-cart and a horse were sold off. Thomas Davison continued brewing here for a few years. The brewery became a laundry then a hay merchant's. During the Second World War it was used for civil defence exercises. After the war It was demolished as part of a slum clearance.
Brian Bennison, 1995, Brewers and Bottlers of Newcastle upon Tyne From 1850 to the present day, p 35, 55