Tyne and Wear HER(11074): Gosforth, Hedley Street, Hedley Arms Public House and brewery - Details
Gosforth, Hedley Street, Hedley Arms Public House and brewery
John Harper Graham, joiner, started in the brewing tade at a pub in Shieldfield. In 1874 he took over the Hedley Arms in Hedley Street/Oyster Shell Lane and extended its brewery in 1886. He took over a suite of public houses - 8 in Newcastle city centre and the Millstone in Gosforth and some hotels around Middlesbrough. In 1900 J.H. Graham Ltd was formed to raise the funds to buy the Turk's Head Hotel (HER 9084) in Grey Street and the Collingwood House in High Bridge. Graham lived in Coxlodge Hall (HER 1868). In 1908 the business went into receivership and the Hedley Arms closed. Bass and James Deuchar purchased the brewing company to make bottled beer for the armed forces during World War One. They ceased business here in 1920. In 1921 Northern Clubs Federation Brewery Ltd took over the Hedley Brewery. When they took over the Hanover Square Brewery (HER 5071) in 1927 they retained the Hedley Street Brewery for bottle stores and aerated water manufacturing.
Brian Bennison, 1995, Brewers and Bottlers of Newcastle upon Tyne From 1850 to the present day, pp 36-7, 46