Tyne and Wear HER(1110): Backworth, Bell Engine - Details
Backworth, Bell Engine
Bell Engine, at the junction of the Backworth Wagonway (HER 1113) with the West Cramlington Wagonway (HER 1058). First stationary engine to be built on the Backworth Wagonway. Probably named after the man who was in charge of it. This engine hauled the wagons up from the "A" Pit (HER 1105). Even after conversion to locomotive haulage a banking engine was required to push trains out of the pit yard up to the crossing. The engine also later worked the branches to West Holywell and Earsdon. Letters of 1856 survive in Morpeth Records Office, relating to this engine.
<< HER 1110 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1865, 6 inch scale, Northumberland 89; John Elliott & Derek Charlton, 1994, Backworth - An Illustrated History of the Mines and Railways