Tyne and Wear HER(1111): Earsdon Colliery, Duke and Dutchess Pit - Details
Earsdon Colliery, Duke and Dutchess Pit
Coal Mining Site
The Duke and Duchess Pits at Earsdon Colliery, 'won' in 1823 and 1826 respectively, were served by the Backworth Wagonway (East Holywell Branch) (HER ref. 1051). They were owned by Hugh Taylor and William Clark, while the miners occupied the farm cottages owned by a Mr Grey. These buildings later formed the community of Shiney Row, and are shown on Greenwood's map of 1828. By 1897 the pits had disappeared, and had been replaced by the Abbey Shot Factory.
<< HER 1111 >> 1st edition Ordnance Survey map, 1865, 6 inch scale, Northumberland 89 1844, valuation of Moor Edge Farm, in the parish of Earsdon, belonging to.. -Northumberland Records Office ZHE 38a R.E. Young, 2000, Tyne and Wear Museums, Moor Edge Farm, Archaeological Assessment; Durham Mining Museum www.dmm.org.uk