Tyne and Wear HER(11142): Rowlands Gill, Rowlands Gill Bank, William C. Rippon Fountain - Details
Rowlands Gill, Rowlands Gill Bank, William C. Rippon Fountain
Water Supply and Drainage
Installed 1906. The fountain takes the form of a drum with an iron finial on top of a cubic base and trough. The drum has an inscription on its northern face: "ERECTED BY/ MISS A. RIPPON/ IN REMEMBRANCE OF HER BROTHER/ WILLIAM C. RIPPON, OF HIS LIFE'S RESIDENCE IN BURNOPFIELD/ AND IN KINDNESS TO DUMB ANIMALS/ 1906/ THE DONOR OF THIS FOUNTAIN/ DIED 3RD OCT.R BEFORE ITS COMPLETION/ ACCEPTED/ ON BEHALF OF PARK COMMITTEE BY/ H.C. WOOD C.C./ ACCEPTED ON BEHALF OF TANFIELD U.D. COUNCIL BY/ W. BULMER J.P.". According to the 1881 census, William C. Rippon was a butcher and inn keeper who lived with his sister Mary. A. Rippon in Burnopfield. Relocated in 1996.
Paul Usherwood, Jeremy Beach and Catherine Morris, 2000, Public Sculpture of North East England, p 169