Tyne and Wear HER(11187): Byker, Clifford Street, Church of St. Silas, war memorial - Details
Byker, Clifford Street, Church of St. Silas, war memorial
Originally located in Fenning Street off Walker Road, this 1914-1918 war memorial was moved to the forecourt of St. Silas Church in 1996. The memorial is dedicated to the men of Byker killed in the Great War and used to stand next to St. Lawrence's Church, which was demolished in the 1970s. The memorial was moved when the church site was built up for development. An example of the fairly rare type of war memorial which depicts the crucified Christ. 10ft high with roof over crucified figure. The octaginal plinth is decorated with flowers. 3 steps.
Ian Ayris, Peter Jubb, Steve Palmer, Paul Usherwood, 1996, A Guide to the Public Monuments & Sculpture of Tyne and Wear, pp 61-2; Tyne and Wear Specialist Conservation Team, Annual Report 1996/7, p 29; North East War Memorials Project Ref. B95.09 (www.newmp.org.uk); Newcastle Daily News 11 August 1920, 25 August 1920, 4 September 1920; Evening Chronicle 16 October 1995, 19 October 1995, 23 November 1995; The Journal 20 March 1999, 3 July 1999, 4 November 2000, 6 November 2000, 5 May 2005