Tyne and Wear HER(11196): Camperdown, Station Road, No. 67, Nurses Cottage - Details
Camperdown, Station Road, No. 67, Nurses Cottage
Single storey brick bungalow to house a nurse. Has a living room, bedroom, sitting room, bathroom, scullery. There is a marble plaque on the front wall "WAR MEMORIAL COTTAGE 1921 ERECTED BY SUBSCRIPTIONS FROM THE WORKMEN OF BURRADON COLLIERY AND INHABITANTS OF THE DISTRICT AND DEDICATED TO THE MEMORY OF OUR DEAR COMRADES WHO SACRIFICED THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR". The foundation stones were laid on August 27th 1921 by JH Reah Esq. and Mrs LE Younger. The nurse's cottage opened on 11th March 1922. It was rededicated after restoration on 21st November 2004. Owned by Northumberland Aged Mineworkers Associated since 2003.
North East War Memorials Project Ref. B73.01 (www.newmp.org.uk); Northumberland Museum & Archives, Woodhorn, ANLHS War Memorial Project has photos of ceremony; Morpeth Herald 2nd September 1921; The Journal 20th November 2004