Tyne and Wear HER(11202): Dinnington, War Memorial Institute - Details
Dinnington, War Memorial Institute
Red brick single storey building with a billiard room, games room and reading room. There is a stone tablet on the gable end 3ft x 2ft bearing the names of the dead from World War One: "1923 DINNINGTON VILLAGE WAR MEMORIAL INSTITUTE ERECTED IN MEMORY OF THE MEN OF THIS VILLAGE WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918". There is another plaque on the main elevation with the details of the laying of the foundation stone on 29th September 1923 by Thomas Simpson of Hepscott Hall. The institute was opened on 24 November 1923 by Col. Sir Joseph Reed. Paid for by public subscription and a donation from the Miners Welfar Fund.
North East War Memorials Project Ref. D10.03 (www.newmp.org.uk); Morpeth Herald 5 October 1923