Tyne and Wear HER(11256): Forest Hall, Springfield Cottage - Details
Forest Hall, Springfield Cottage
Built in 1869 by Richard Reed, manager of Newcastle Chronicle. Sold by his sons Harold and Joseph Reed in 1918 to Forest Hall village to become a War Memorial Institute. A red marble plaque 17 inches x 36 inches with a trinagular pediment was set up: "THESE PREMISES AND GROUNDS PURCHASED BY THE WEST MOOR AND FOREST HALL BROTHERHOOD WITH THE AID OF PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTIONS ARE DEDICATED TO THE MEMORY OF ALL FROM THE LONG BENTON AREA WHO SERVED IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918". The building burnt down in 1980 and a new community centre was built in 1986.
North East War Memorials Project (www.newmp.org.uk) F33.01; ANLHS War Memorials Project - newspaper articles from 1983 and photos of the rebuilding (held by Northumberland Museum and Archives, Woodhorn, Ashington)