Tyne and Wear HER(11260): Bishopwearmouth, village green, bull baiting ring - Details
Bishopwearmouth, village green, bull baiting ring
The last bull baiting occurred on Bishopwearmouth Green in 1788. The bull was tethered by a rope to an iron ring and dogs set upon him.
Sunderland City Council, 2007, Bishopwearmouth Conservation Area Character Appraisal and Management Strategy; Sunderland City Council, 1998, Bishopwearmouth: a circular walk through the Conservation Area; Tyne and Wear Museums, 1996, Bishopwearmouth: An Archaeological Assessment; T. Corfe, 1973, A History of Sunderland; T. Corfe, 1983, The Buildings of Sunderland 1814-1914; G.E. Milburn and S.T Miller, 1988, Sunderland River, Town & People: A History from the 1780s to the Present Day; N. Pevsner and Elizabeth Williamson, 1983, The Buildings of England: County Durham (second edition)