Tyne and Wear HER(11261): Harton, Recreational Park, war memorial - Details
Harton, Recreational Park, war memorial
Unveiled 29th July 1922. 13 feet high obelisk in Portland Stone with a wreath at the top and 141 names. "1914-1918 TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN HONOUR OF THEIR COUNTRY. IN MEMORIAM. ERECTED BY SMITH'S DOCK COMPANY LTD IN MEMORY OF EMPLOYEES FROM ALL DEPARTMENTS WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR. JULY 1922". The receation ground was sold to the YMCA for development in 1925 when Smith's Dock Co. moved to North Shields. The war memorial, which was apparently broken up and discarded, was identical to others in North Shields (HER 7295) and South Shields.
North East War Memorials Project (www.newmp.org.uk) H104.01; Illustrated Chronicle 1922; Smith's Dock Monthly News September 1922; Shields Daily News 31st July 1922